Our mission is to unite refugees and migrants from all Horn of Africa countries in Australia, through their community leaders, in order to act as a strong and effective advocate and lobbyist for their issues and concerns, both in Australia and internationally.
- That HARDA performs a positive and effective role in communicating with government and as an advocate for Horn of Africa individuals, families and communities living in Australia.
- That Horn of Africa refugees and humanitarian entrants have access on an equitable basis to the services and accommodation essential for their wellbeing, including affordable housing, education, vocational training, community services, employment and health care.
- That HARDA provides support services to member organisations from the Horn of Africa countries, including incorporation and compliance, policy development, accounting and finance, fundraising & sponsorship, submission writing, event planning, graphic design & layout.
- That HARDA forms a strong and effective alliance with government through AusAid and works with non-government overseas aid organizations in Australia including, Caritas, Care Australia, the National Council of Churches, Human Appeal International and Muslim Aid.
- That HARDA uses its contacts with Horn of Africa communities and individuals in Australia and their contacts in the Horn of Africa (‘the diaspora’) to identify high value humanitarian projects in their countries of origin; works with non-government organisations in those countries to develop and cost their proposals; seeks Australian support for them by government; and acts as a catalyst through joint ventures with Australian based NGOs.